May 14, 2009

Starting lineup announced!

FINALLY: All but 1 summer staff position is hired! I will be conducting interviews for the final position this afternoon!

Hiring Summer Staff is a really tricky ordeal. I have to find folks that are atleast 18 years old who love kids, are overly enthusiatic, dedicated to long hours, and can tolerate me daily. The last one is not so bad...I am pretty tolerable.

In summer staffing, we have terms that are similar to sports teams...we have rebuilding years (when most of last year's staff moves on in life (graduates college), and we have easy years (when all of the great employees have not moved on). While I think that our program is far superior to any other camping entity for some distance, there are some that disagree. I am openly challenging those camps to a "staff olympics". These are the events:

Archery
Climbing contest
Kayak race
Swimming race
Filling out paperwork
Suntanning

No doubt, my crew has what it takes...I generally attract only applicants that are interested in working at high profile locations with important programs. Most camp staffs would buckle under the pressure of our exciting programs.

Nevertheless, this turned out to be a "rebuilding year"... But, I like to call it a reloading year. The staff I hired this year are "KAVU". Look that up.

Yesterday, I probably laid forth the greatest Team Challenge Course facilitation ever. Bar none. Other reports state that the program staff was also stellar, but that's our forte.

Lee has told me that it's time to get into summer camp mode...that means several things. I want discuss them with you, other than get ready for longer hours. I was born ready. The two months prior to a summer camping program - recruiting, hiring, and training are great primers for the 3 months of camp. Camp is like a marathon with birthday cake. Some would argue that its a marathon with concrete shoes, but it's not. You either love the excitement or .... you should not work at camp...this year's summer staff likes to have their cake and eat it, too.



Enjoy the day...

No comments: