May 1, 2009

A Signature Event, My Mommy

Tomorrow is Dock of the Bay...it is one of or most notable events...If blogged enough about it, and now I ask you to experience it. I will be unable to blog next week - I will clear my head and begin re-blogging on Friday night. Mother's Day is also 9 days away. I will not be able to see my mother, on account that she lives in Alabama.

I never understood Mother's Day as a youngster (ages 0-22)...I was to stupid. I was always the recipient of a good mother... a good mom is sort of like a tractor. A tractor is the most versatile piece of equipment on the planet...bush hog (Luker family lawnmower), hay-hauler, plower, planter, and in some places - a common mode of transportation. In fact, my parents' neighbor, Wayne removed the mowing deck from an old lawnmower and now uses it as an ATV (only in Alabama). In Hyde County, people in race lawn tractors. The Chapanoake Tractor Pull is well-attended by many eastern North Carolinians. Tractors are everywhere...providing both fun and work. Mothers are the same, but you never realize it until you realize that you are: (1) without a mother, (2) out on your own, (3) hungry, or (4) sick.

If there's one thing I miss about home, it's the mom. When I was young I was to ignorant to imagine being away from her care. While my dad was the ultimate disciplinarian, it was her counsel that resulted in some "real straightenin' out". My mother also wielded a ruler, fly-swatter, and paint stirrer with the skill of an artist and his medium. My mom was also fearless enough to chase us around the house...she always caught me and/or my sisters. The discipline she gave me was usually to correct minor things like bad attitude, laziness, arguing, and general apathy. My dad got the big stuff - backtalk, pre-teen swearing, disrespect, etc. But my mom is who I directly relate my current fear for not doing chores (or work, since I am an adult).

Now obviously, I do not miss the discipline. I do miss the affection she showed me when I was sick, hungry or in need of a hug. To understand my mother, you have to realize that she is the eternal intellectual. She has the amazing ability to understand someone else's perspective. She's also way smarter than my dad. My father is real non-sensical, but goes about that in a way that is, to many, not sensible. He is wise, but he is old. My mother is smart, no matter her age. And despite nearly 30 years of matrimony to my dad, she has yet to crack under his guise. They are the perfect match, but only because of her...my dad would agree. She loves him and loves her children.

Mom took care of me when I was sick...I was sick often as a child. No prescription cures what ails you like a mother's care. I realize more than ever, when I am sick, that my mom can probably make me feel better. She will certainly try. When I was younger, my mom dealt with work, supper, and 3 squalin' youngin's. Did I mention she was an Extension employee...imagine that workload!

I never, ever found myself hungry. My mother is an amazing cook. She always has been. She loves little more than making a dinner that is enjoyed by the whole family...I wish I understood that as a teenager...I would have eaten more. My dad ate my share, though. She is always looking for the perfect cookie recipe, mainly for me. When I visit, I always return with sweets...and they are not leftovers.

And in everybody's "Glory Years" (teenage years), you tend to disappoint your parents. My mom was the most disappointed...she has to be. I hate to think of some of the stupid things I said or did as a youngster. I can't take those instances back, but a loving Mother forgives.

My mother also set a standard for my sisters. I hope my sisters (when and if they get married and have children) can do half the job my mother did...Amanda and Abby (my sisters) - can you show unconditional love when it is not deserved? Can you cook a meal for 5 virtually every night for 30 years? Can you run a household - dishes, laundry, house cleaning for 3 bratty kids? Can you do virtually everything your children ask? Can you hem britches? Can you make a caramel chocolate cheesecake? Can you remember to put Nilla wafers in the banana pudding everytime**? Can you put up with a jokester like dad, for 30 years? Can you play tennis? Can you make a quilt for every bed in your house? Can you make 20 quilts and donate them all to shut-ins, terminally ill, and the needy - all out of the goodness of your heart? Can you can tomatoes? Can you go to all of your kids' clubs and spors practices? Can you potty train someone? Can you hold a crying baby until it stops crying? Can you grow a garden? Can you work 60 hours a week? Can you win the city tennis tournament? Can you coach city-league tennis? Can you punish the ones you love the most? Do you have a great smile? Can you make your kids brush their teeth?

Amanda and Abby - can you do this and more...There's not enough space in the internet for me to talk about the wonderful stuff my mother did for us. I don't need any internet space to list what my mother did wrong. My mother is my matriarch. I love her and miss her.

Happy Mother's Day Mommy!

Enjoy the day...

No comments: