May 15, 2009

Back to my Birthday

Last week, while at my National Shooting Sports Certification, I incurred another year to my life. While I was gone, Lee was planning a birthday cake for me and Jonathan Casper (Program Staff)...Jonathan's birthday is tomorrow! He is also graduating college TODAY...congrats and happy life anniversary.

Nevertheless, while I was gone it was the most insignificant birthday of my entire life...every person has the birthday that doesn't "count", rendering all following birthdays equally forgettable. I'm glad that it is over...

There are several contributing factors to the "forgettable birthday phenomena". It occurs when a perfect storm of family and friends are tied up with law school finals, undergrad finals, long distances between friends, new babies, and wedding planning. As sour as I wasn't, it's glad to know that my friends and family are doing so well, and better yet without my "helpful guise".

Amanda, my sis, finished her second year in law school at the University of Alabama...quite a feat since UA is far inferior to Auburn University (the state's land-grant, and my alma mater). Abby, my other sis, has a baby...schnauzer....both her and the pooch survived her first year in college.

My friends are all getting married...all of them. I wouldn't want to talk to anyone either if I knew my fate was sealed. But I'm still glad that they are all happy. Kevin, whose wedding I'm "in" next week called to wish me a happy birthday...but he calls me virtually everyday, anyway. His fiance is way prettier and smarter than he is, but he is more patient than she is...

My parents wished me "happy birthday" the day prior to my birthday...this is acceptable, especially since they allowed me to have my first ever birthday in 1984.

Sara, our Marketing Director, wished me a "happy birthday", via email. It was on the day of, too.

Callie, my lady friend also told me on the day of, and the following Saturday awarded me with 2 dozen duck decoys to add to my growing pile.

My Aunt Martha, sent me a nostalgic card...I haven't seen her in years, but I really appreciate the thought...the card was really pleasant.

Other friends wished me "happy birthday" on social network sites like facebook...these are acceptable to, since I also have the opportunity to return the favor, but I usually decline or forget.

Nevertheless, my co-workers here at the Eastern 4-H Salt Mill joined me in celebrating my birthday on Wednesday with a chocolate on chocolate rendition of a birthday cake. Made by the original "Ace of Cakes" himself, Lee painstaking slaved over a hot stove to prepare the caloric cake. He even decorated it for me.

While some are to busy, most remembered. At my age, I am glad I can remember to wake up in the morning. Thanks for all of the "happy birthdays"...this should quantify as my "blanket" thank-you, right?

Enjoy the day....

No comments: