May 20, 2009

The Drive Home

This blog will be messy, because I am in a hurry...I made it to Alabama...A lot of people think that I am on "vacation" or something...WRONG...my trip home is dreadful...Think you want to drive to Alabama?

I will give you directions to halfway point to my parents home!
Take US 64 West for 96 miles.
Turn on to I-95 South, and drive foe 156 miles to Florence South Carolina
Take I-20 west for 81 miles to Columbia, South Carolina....

that is the halfway part!

Getting to the Alabama Stateline is totally uneventful, except for Atlanta, GA.

Once to the Alabama Stateline, the trip is as follows...

Head South on AL 9...70 miles of curvy, hilly roads pocked with Alabama Speedbumps (armadillos).

Highway 9 highlights:
Cleburne County Highlights: NONE, this place is desolate except for the Tyson Chicken Plant made famous bu the PETA video...google it if you want...

Clay County - Clay County is the "Volunteer County" of Alabama, and also receives the most jokes...imagine West Virginia jokes, with "Clay County" substituted....

In Clay County, the worlds most ridiculous speed trap is located in Delta, Alabama...a 55 mph zone turns into 35 mph on a steep downhill grade...

Lineville is the next town one enters in Clay County...remember Hogzilla? He was "officially" weighed here in Lineville...

Ashland, is about 3 miles south of Lineville - the two border towns compromise Alabama's most heated high school football rivalry...the MTV show "two-A-Day" makes Hoover High look like a beast, but it is Clay County High School in Ashland that is the true dynasty.

Next, Coosa County, my home county is entered! I always crack a smile as a cross the county's threshold...as the gears in my Jeep climb up and down along the Coosa hills, small former towns pop up...Goodwater, Alabama, namely...the "hinterlands" of my "poppa"...once a bustling manufacturing town, now a soulful, but heartless town. Once a historical area, now more hysterical...I'm glad to be home...

Enjoy the day...

No comments: