March 4, 2009

What is 4-H?

This post may be a bit heady for most readers, but it has been on my mind...

If someone asked you to draw a picture of 4-H, what would it look like? There are some stipulations - 4-H is not just a clover, so you can't draw one...or you can't give me a picture of a utopian, politically-approved picture of happy children standing in front of a flag...these are not 4-H. It's not a picture of a child with a ribbon for a perfect presentation or a big, fat hog, either. It's not a certificate or a scholarship, and it's not a picture of volunteers and agents...these things come and go, right?

If someone asked you to draw a tree, it would be easy...it is tangible. Is 4-H tangible? You can see 4-H in action, right? But you can't go to a store and buy a 4-H. I was asked the other day "Why is 4-H private?" Obviously, I laughed at the thought. 4-H is public and it is for the entire public. It's for the public masses in the cities of New York, Chicago, and Houston. It's also for the public masses in Engelhard and Sunbury, and every other tiny town in America. It's also international. But why do people "buy in" for something they can't buy? Is it the 100 years of history? Maybe...but I don't buy into something to enjoy it's past...and few people do. Paintings and sculptures are bought for their history. Football tickets aren't bought to celebrate past seasons of glory. They are bought with the hope that the future brings. An intangible promise of hope is what 4-H is...a hope to get better at stuff you have never done and improve on stuff you have done.

Growing up in Alabama, in the woods, 4-H was the only game in town. In big cities, people have options, right? Boys & Girls Club....Scouts, FFA, FHA...maybe a couple of others, if you're lucky. But these groups rarely entered my train of thought or county lines. It would have been nice to have these options, too. There is Scout Camp, but I'm not sure about the others. 4-H has a camp...I work at one. I have also heard folks mention that 4-H is only for farm kids and is based on an agricultural program...and I even heard someone say "I can't believe 4-H is still around"...that statement was probably based on the aforementioned statements about farm kids. All great organizations, if willing to survive, have to keep up with the needs of the public. Technology can't outdo 4-H, right? Circuit City couldn't! 4-H outlasted the techno retailer. That makes me proud. Want insurance? 4-H insured my future with tangible skills from an organization that is known by many...4-H insurance or AIG insurance...you pick. Looking for something...try 4-H or Google - you'll probably find something with either of those...I like being in the same group as Google...and if you are ever bored, "google" your own name.

4-H is turning 100 years old...there will be a Gala, parties, and awards to celebrate this occasion. But, 4-H does more than turn 100 years old every 100 years. It gives people potential, realizes potential, and provides for hope. Everybody could use a little hope, right now. I hope I live to see 4-H turn 200 years old, but I will not. My great-grandchildren will, though. I hope that by then, it has outlasted Google. What makes 4-H great are the kids it serves, and the kids that serve it. 4-H will watch lots of companies come and go, but it will be here as long as there are kids...and that may be a while. While 4-H turns 100 years old, understand that 4-H is always young at heart.

No comments: