March 3, 2009

Lucky Number 7

Seven is a really neat number...the numeral is representative about many things...There are seven deadly sins, seven days in a week, and seven comes before eight. I was born on the seventh day of May. My girlfriend Callie was born on the seventh day of December. The Eastern 4-H Center is seven miles from the Town of Columbia.

Most importantly, today's wind chill is 7 degrees. SEVEN DEGREES! It is so cold, Lee has decided to turn the heat on for the first time this winter! There have been few days in my life where I have experienced such bone chilling conditions. I usually prefer extreme conditions...really hot or really cold...but this is the equivalent of a 130 degree summer day. There is nothing you can do about it. I don't own enough clothes to cover up with. My winter beard is finally paying off. I (yeah, I cut my own hair) did cut my hair recently, so my noggin is cold.

The dock is completely iced over...trust me I just slipped on it. The rocks on the bank have ice shells on them that are 3 inches thick. The cypress knees that are poking out of the water look like popsicle sticks. The foam on the sandy banks along the wetlands is frozen. It is ridiculously cold. It's been too cold for too long.

Mosquitoes don't like the cold either. I am glad they are freezing. I hope they don't appear this summer. Last week, the program staff reported bug bites - not uncommon for the 70 degree temps of last week. By the end of the week, we will return to the 70's. I would like 7 days of 70.

The swimming pool is frozen solid...I wish summer visitors could experience the raw beauty of this place in the winter. Living on any shoreline has its benefits, but its not for the light-hearted...don't think so? Go to the Outer Banks in January...you'll understand why the homes are "summer homes" - the place is barren. But the folks at the Center are tough. The citizens in Columbia, and all around the Sound, are tough. But now we're just cold.

Today is Sara Phelps (Marketing Director) birthday...she turned 25 years old today...so wish her a happy birthday (or ask her about Dock of the Bay) by email at sara_phelps@ncsu.edu!

No comments: