March 13, 2009

Meet the Program Staff

Every season, except winter, the Eastern 4-H Center hosts a random and eccentric collection of 20-somethings that we call Program Staff. They lead programs, improve programs, occasionally create programs, keep the Program Director sane, and - as of late - cut trails and picnic areas.

I generally like to wait a while before I introduce the Program Staff to everyone...I want to make sure that they are fit for public appearances. This year I have 4 Program Staff, all of which are pretty close to normal...often, Program Staff can be hippie-esque...and while I appreciate the hippie's place in society, their time at the Eastern 4-H Center may leave them yearning for more tree-hugging and dirt worship. I have been accused of being a hippie by many people, but I am not - I swear. I am a heavy participant in activities that a hippie would never be seen performing, and also, I don't participate in common hippie activities. I will hug a tree, though. I want to give you a brief introduction and background of the Program Staff...that way, you know'em before I show'em.

Chris Sova - Chris is a pleasant boy of Fuquay-Varina...he has a degree in Biology from NC State, so he's kinda smart. He has a beard on his face. Chris served as our Health Coordinator last summer, and will continue into that role for 2009. Chris elected to stay on because he likes hard work and learning new programs...when I hired him as the Health Coordinator, I had no idea that he would turn out to be as versatile as he is today...Chris has the same affinity for laughing at his own jokes, that I do. Often times, we are the only one's that laugh at our jokes. Chris also likes to invent words and phrases...like "Cuando Cat." He has a lady friend that lives in Hertford. He likes Texas Pete hot sauce on everything from spaghetti, to rice, to Texas Pete hot sauce (yep, TP on TP).

Stephanie Spears - Stephanie is from Thomasville, North Carolina. When Stephanie arrived at the Eastern 4-H Center, she brought several years of experience through working at zoos. This has really helped in managing the staff house after work. Stephanie is a jokester, but can also take a joke...and does she get plenty of them! Stephanie, is kinda short, but she's still OK...she cooks something tasty everynight, but usualluy only cooks one item. Two nights ago, she cooked a batch of cornbread, nothing else. I like her philosophy of dining - don't crowd your plate with fillers and go straight for the good stuff! Stephanie is also an experienced ballet and jazz dancer. I am not an experienced dancer at all. Stephanie is fun to have around!

Joe Herbert - Joe is from all over the country, but mainly Ohio. While Joe was in college, he got a degree in what is essentially Camp Programming...he might have finished Magna Cum Laude...He brings lots of intelligence and experience to our programs. He also brings a "little sarcasm." He takse pity on none of us, but does laugh at our jokes on the inside. Joe is quick-witted, but is a really nice guy...he's nice enough to make the rest of us nice...quite a quality. He is self-admittedly quasi-hippie and somewhat earthy. Joe is not really growing a beard.

Jonathon Casper is our resident bearded Program Staffer. Casper is called by his last name, because nobody likes the word "Jonathon" (I'm not really sure why, but this is the only logical explanation). And like the ghost, he is very friendly. Despite his enormity and former football experience he's virtually a Teddy Bear. Casper's "no non-sense" way of life is enlightening to others...he only speaks when he has a good thought or insightful insight. He understands the natural world better than any person I know, partly because he spends so much time afield. I have surmised that his beard is maintained to add as camoflauge. As much as his beard offers adaptation, mine offers mutualism.

All Program Staff are, admittedly, a tiny bit weird...They generally like to work. They work a long way from home. They like to work close to home. They adapt to new environments quickly. They like to work outside, in all of its elements. They are super-smart...our nightly Jeopardy episodes are competitive. Inside jokes are the norm, and generally make little sense. They are my favorite people, bar none. They are respected by each other and themselves. They have high levels of confidence and courage. They are "my people." And I will stand by them, good and bad, to make them all good, all the time.

My streak over Lee stretched to 4 days. We are 50 days away from "Dock of the Bay", which means I am 50 days away from staining my outfit with bacon-wrapped scallops and chocolate. Next week, my blogging will be limited because I will be at a Camping Conference. I am visiting Raleigh this weekend. The UNC Nurses' retreat will commence this weekend, as well as the Wildlife Resource Trapper's Workshop. Program Staff might be planning to visit the Croatan National Forest this weekend, among other local areas. Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: