November 10, 2011

No Smarter, Waterfowl Season

Well folks, the reduction in my blg totals in the past week are a direct result of the pain created by my wisdom tooth, which apparently was struck with an infection at the root. I knew it when it hit. And it hit like a ton of bricks. For hours on end I could sit, stand, play, talk...then the sharp pain would sting and remind me that I do in fact have a dentist. In keeping with tradition, my oral health seems to always take a nosedive as the waterfowl season comes in. Either way, removal of the wisdom tooth is imminent, and I actually look forward to it, despite my loathe for the whir of the dentist's drill and the tap-tap of his metallic mouth explorer. But my dentist is great, and he has helped me when friends refused to pull my teeth.

Waterfowl season is around the corner, the corner being Saturday. I look forward to it almost as much as the first day of summer camp. Both can bring surprises, but they both bring lots of fun. I spend nine months of the year thinking about both, and three months of the year living through both. Both leave any true devotee extraordinarily exhausted in it's respective aftermath. As late as the nights are in operating a summer camp, the waterfowl season can bring just as early mornings. But, being able to meet the sun on it's way out of it's wintry bed over the Atlantic is a genuine blessing, just as seeing it set over the Albemarle in the summer. Without getting to mushy, all waterfowlers are required to mention the following things to those who are considered novices to the sport. I am lucky and see lots of waterfowl. But still, I am no expert, however, consider the following tips as published by "experts":

Scouting is important to find ducks. You absolutely must go to where the ducks want to be. I scout as a safety precaution. Finding stumps in the daylight with your eyeballs is a lot better than finding them with your prop in the predawn darkness.

Get an early start. the public boat ramps in eastern NC are a total circus, complete with clowns and donkeys. If you want to beat the crowds and have an enjoyable experience at the boat ramp, try to be there early. You'll also have the best chance of getting to "your" spot. Always drive cautiously and ensure your boat's running lights are operable and that lifejackets are donned. Fire extinguishers, air horns, whistles, and flares are also great in the event of an emergency. I even take a change of clothes for the inevitable spill I'll take.

Make sure your decoys are nice and clean and well-rigged. Many a duck has flared or spooked by the dirt dobber nest that is firmly entrenched on the neck of it's plastic Judas. Decoy lines that are too short will leave you a decoy short in the end. Watching your decoys float away is tough...especially when the birds are decoying to the ill-anchored decoy that is adrift well outside of shooting range.

Duck calling is something that everyone believes they can do and do well. For those that know me and know where I like to set-up, my news to you is: Your calling is terrible. You need to practice in the privacy of your own yard, and not while in your blind. It hurts the ears of your dog, for crying out loud. Call calm on calm days, and call with authority on powerful, churlish days.

Cooking ducks is just as good as hunting them. I like to pick my ducks...that's where the good, flavorful fat is. I like to smoke or grill mine, but some people prefer to deep fry them to a golden boot leather texture. Game is safest when cooked to well-doneness, but I generally like mine medium rare and chewable.

Licenses and stamps are required by law. Make sure you have them all. Mr. Green Jeans will be out to check on you. There is no excuse for pursuing any wild game without purchasing a license. License fees go to management and protection of game species, so you'd actually be doing yourself a favor in the long run. And federal waterfowl stamps are true works of art and are highly valued to collectors.

Take a child hunting. Make sure they have had their hunter safety class before you allow them to carry a firearm. Even if they can't carry a gun, the fellowship in the marsh is second to few others. Give them a whistle and let them toot away. Lots of duck species merely whistle, and it is hard to mess up a whistling routine. Let them have a "part" in the hunt. Also, take a long plenty of snacks for kids...they always get hungry. And when they are cold, it's time to leave. Don't make it miserable for them!

Enjoy the day...

No comments: