September 27, 2010

Coastal Fall Fashions

Listen - err, read-up. Summer is finally over. So is the incessant wave of heat that rode it's coattails on the way out. Fall is here. Fall is the best time of year, in the marshes anyway. The waters stay mild, the air begins to dry out, and the days begin to shorten more noticeably. Here in the pocosin, clothing follows suit. It's fun to analyze what people where in different places and try to understand why they do it. Hopefully, it should all be driven out of function and not fashion, but even better is when it satisfies both categories.

While growing up in Alabama, we had two seasons - summer and Christmas Holidays. It is almost always hot except for a three week period in the middle of December and January. So yeah, we all had a gigantic coat to help us cope. Thermal undies, toboggans, gloves, and fleece lined boots collected dust in closets and retail shelves for most of the year, but were worth their weights in titanium when the cold snap arrived.

The pocosin has, for the most part, four seasons. Summer is dominated by hot and muggy temperatures, mosquitoes, and thunderstorms. Fall is generally mild with cool nights - and hopefully, in my case, lots of ducks. Winter is windy and bitter and spitting snow and rain is not uncommon, but large doses of either are rare. Spring is often early, but still windy and can surprise one with a late burst of airish air.

The fall can usher in noreasters and early cold fronts. These are my favorite. For some reason or another, I have always had an affinity for odd and violent weather. Fall in the marsh grants me this pleasure.

I, like others, have learned to properly outfit myself for the conditions, some of which can change by the hour. Most folks hold on to their bermuda shorts as long as bearable, and I do the same. And while we live near the coast, folks around hear disdain the coastal and tropic print shirts for preppy plaids in nautical colors such as red, navy, green, and white. However, these plaids must be comfortable in windy and cool weather, too. I have stocked my closet with lots of flannel, but not the Nirvana flannel of the 90's. Also - many of the local fishermen like to let the top two buttons go unused. I lack the bravado to allow my chest hair blow inthe wind, but it's an entertaining look.

Sometimes, a light jacket might be needed. Since I am cold-natured, I often wear a hoodie throughout the year. However, I prefer sweaters over jackets as the autumn arrives. No v-necks here, though. Woolen sweaters are an excellent way to sweat your life away, so I prefer cotton. Slim fitting attire appears to be fashionable, though I have mostly always preferred this style (it makes me look taller) and will continue to wear clothing in this manner. Cumersome clothes make one look frumpy and gross. Don't figure out a way to hide that figure! Neverhtheless, I like to wear colors that appear in nature in fall: brown, dark green, and sage (whatever that is). The sartorialist in me also allows the use of a shawl-collared sweater. Men are beginning to wear these, but alas, I have kept one at hand for several years, fashion be danged.

When covering our feet, pocosin men and women are often fairly ambivalent. Boat and deck shoes are acceptable throughout the year, even with tuxedoes, should the topsiders be black. I, too, fail victim to the boat shoe, but have since branched out. I recently procured a pair of red wing chukkas. They are guaranteed for life...but I'm not sure whose life. Nevertheless, they are fashioned after the boat shoe, and have canvas uppers so that my feet don't melt away. folks that know me understand my propensity to wear duck boots, too. These are always acceptable. In my dreams, my dream lady also sports a pair of these sporty boots.

Obviously, one must cover themselves with pants. And as I mentioned earlier in this literary waste of time, many people continue to wear shorts as long as possible - possible meaning above freezing. However, when the time is right, I will prefer long pants over shorts. I have never worn lots of dednim, but have always preferred selvage and dark rinse denim that was straight and slim fitting. this look is also fashionable in more metropolitan areas. Yet, the color of khaki most often appears over my legs. Cargo pants are for cops and forest rangers, and I am neither of those. However, cotton khakis are the most comfortable. I like them in darker colors because they do not show dirt and can be worn several times or months without washing. Like jeans, I prefer that they be trim looking. Frumpy clothes are for the holiday buffet season.

Their you have it...it's interesting how mainstream fashion begins to follow function every time there is a chill in the economic climate. On this blog, I predicted in January of 2009 that beards would be back in force, and I was right. Beards are a primitive way to keep the face and eyes warm. I also predicted that the military crew cut would be back...right again. It's traditional and reminds us of more pleasant times - the 50's! I was not around then... People are looking for a return to normalcy and uniform-style work clothes help folks remember what making an honest living was all about. Now everyone wants to look honest and hard-working - like the folks in the pocosin...

PS - Auburn obliterated South Carolina - although the scoreboard says the game was not quite an obliteration. Nevertheless, Auburn won, the Establishment is restored, and the New Guard is repressed. War Eagle. My sister also passed the bar exam and she's a full fledged attorney.

Enjoy the day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

obliteration... HARDLY sir!

-dud