September 10, 2010

Auburn wins, staff disappointed

Last night, my beloved Auburn Tigers took the field for a Thursday night prime time game against Mississippi State....a school that is favored by several of my summer staff, ladyfriend, and other friends. In what was supposed to be an offensive showcase for both teams, it turned out to be a dirty and nasty defensive battle. I think. For the past 13 games, Auburn's defense appeared to be the football version of a wet paper sack. Teams tore through them, only impeded by their own incompetence. A new defensive scheme, young ball players, and a host of other things contributed to this abberration. Auburn's defense is usually as stout as a gorilla or 3. Mississippi State has been on tough times since the departure of Jackie Sherril back in the early part of the decade. He was a funny guy. He often accused other teams of filling footballs with helium. He was a good coach and fun to watch, though. Dan Mullen, the new coach at MSU appears to have wrighted the ship, which makes me nervous...there's already plenty of competition in the SEC West.

Nevertheless, Auburn's offense fired up right out of the gates only to stall once the intermission was reached. That's when Auburn's defense stepped up and pushed down the Dogs. I heard lots of cowbells ringing last night on TV, which is supposed to warrant a fine. But the loudest bell that was heard was the poor ball carrier's that was leveled by Auburn linebacker Josh Bynes.

Today, Camtech, a group pf students from Camden County will make their way to the Center for a little teambuilding and a Giant Swing. Casper and I will facilitate lots of fun games and initiatives before the participants have to challenge themselves on the Giant Swing.

This weekend, we are hosting Kingdom Kids for programming, a Christian womens' retreat, a 50 year class reunion, and a 20 year class reunion. I think my 10 year class reunion is next year. I hope I can go to it! Many people in my rural Alabama school system sat in class with me everyday from Kindergarten 'til Commencement...and I haven't seen them since. I know that many of them have already conceded their lives to the mundane hum-drum of adulthood with marriages and baby carriages, but some haven't...their the ones with the tattoos and Lamborghini's. I have a Jeep and no tattoos, but as always, I'm the exception to acceptable.

Enjoy the day...

No comments: