May 17, 2010

3 weeks and counting...

Only 3 weeks to go until Staff Training starts...things are finally starting to shape up! This past weekend saw the Roanoke Chowan Hospital Board of Directors and the Royal Ambassadors come and go...by all accounts the food, educational programs, and lodgin were fantastic...it's no secret to us, though.

I spent the majority of the weekend in the Kitchen, again, cooking and serving, along with the Program Staff, who offer to pitch in early and often. They are a giant help to me and the Center as a whole. They are talented, or at least capable of doing almost everything here, with the exception of fixing things. But they would if they could.

Leadershape arrives today! The LeaderShape Institute of NC State comes every spring for a week long training on leadership. I, as well as the program staff, will interact with them heavily. Last year, as I was doing icebreakers with a group of 20 or so, astonished the masses by memorizing everyone's name, hometown, and major - while blindfolded - in alphabetical order!!!!! There's only one way to be the best Challenge Course facilitator - beat me.

I'll be doing some food service training this week, as well as programming...so I'll be busy.

In unrelated Boating news, I took my Skiff out yesterday for the shortest bat ride in history. The fuel line coupling was gunked up...I made it about 200 yards, just long enough for all of the fuel in the outboard motor to burn before halting to a stop. I am glad my paddles require no gasoline. I beat the rain by .0002938 seconds. All the while, saying not so good things about the lineage of my outboard motor. A $4 fix alleviated the problem.

I also spent the better part of Sunday night practicing my new hobby - decoy painting. I think I chose the most difficult decoy to paint - the Surf Scoter (see it here by clicking). Although the body is solid black, the face is ornate and colorful. Little is needed to fool these birds, but a nice paint job should make it even easier! I managed to paint about 15, but still have 29 to go. I converted old, damaged, and dilapidated mallard decoys to form the new fakes. Also - They'll all be "longlined" for easy setting and pick-up when pursuing them in the Pamlico.

Enjoy the day!

No comments: