March 15, 2010

Program Staff

Today, 3 program staff begin working here...and work they will. We have lots of program groups, starting this past Friday. Beaufort County Joblink came up for a little mini-session and campfire...we endured the wind and rain and made smores of the Coleman Stove...I hold that I make the best roasted marshmallows in Tyrrell County. Turn'em, don't burn'em is my method - it produces and cinnamon colored blob of molten sugar.

Neverhtheless, Emmaus Walk 87 arrives this Thursday...We'll have a full facility and some great weather. I think winter has finally decided to relent. Soon enough, I'll be able to take the skiff about, but I'll wait till both the air temp and water temp, when added together, total 140 degrees farenheit, for 4 days consecutive. That's my rule to prevent hypothermia if and when I swim. However, my favorite swimming holes have been inundated with the American Alligator. I have seen to0oo many to swim in some of the places I like to frequent. But, the Sound, I am pleased to report, is free of gators.

Crabbers arestarting to drop pots in places...the surface of the Sond was pocked with bright orange and yellow buoys, which usually signifies that a wire trap sits at the bottom end of the line...can't wait to start eating those softshells.

This weekend, I'll be plugging our camps at the Cape Fear Wildlife Expo in Wilmington, NC. The Expo is in it's second year and appears to have grown significantly! Wilimington is also a great city!

Enjoy the day...

No comments: