March 17, 2010

The Most Powerful Man in the World

I watch some TV from time to time. The television is usually full of foolishness. And I like foolishness, at least to keep me entertained. Last night, one station said that the U.S. President was the most powerful man in the world.

I don't know what powerful means, but my dad has a powerful Chevrolet. It is loud, tough, and strong. Most Presidents are a little too old to be tough and strong, in the physical sense. Maybe the term best used to describe our Presidents are influential. The most powerful man in the world is...

...the inventor of time. This blog might be to deep for me to write, but I am writing it, so I dare to make it coherent. What time is it right now? What does your watch, clock, or sundial read? Whose clock did you set your timepiece by? Most people keep and maintain time by the use of a watch or clock. They wake up by it, show up to work early, late, or on time by it, and make appointments by it.

There has to be an official time keeper for the world, but who is it...and what if he or she goes on vacation...is this person ever late for anything...would it be in that person's interest to be perfectly punctual - not early or late - for virtually everything. The keeper of time should have a clear understanding of time. Does his or her projects get completed on time? I have never "synched" my timepieces by "official time". I operate on my own schedule...my alarm clock runs 15 minutes fast...that way I can wake up early for an earlier start. I want to do all my living now, not when I am 90, so I wake up earlier. My wristwatch is a minute slow... I trick my mind in to thinking that I am already late.

Summer camp schedules are all about time...they have to be constructed so that activity transitions are fluid and fast. There's a bed time, meal times, a time to be quiet, and a time and a place for everything at camp. Night time is a time for night hikes. Pool time is a time to swim. The schedules of camp appear that we are taking it easy...swim for an hour, rock climb for an hour, kayak for an hour. However, the logistics of camp, and their time frames are highly scrutinized and strategized. When 150 people have to relocate from one activity to another, quite a deal of time and organization are required. Nevertheless, we don't use official time. Since the advent of the cell phone, more folks have access to "official" time...but folks are still just as late as always. Cell phones aren't allowed at camp, and people are virtually always on time. My challenge to Camp Staff is to put away their phone and buy a watch. A watch might be the easiest way to evaluate and judge someone. Do you know someone who wear a fancy watch? Odds are that that person believes that time is relative...and those folks are rarely rushed. How about someone with a practical and sturdy metal watch...time is important to them, and a reliable timepiece helps them to uphold that standard. Calculator Watches - those folks are nerds that can't count. Digital watches are for practical folks who want concrete results from their timepiece...

Enjoy the day...

No comments: