October 11, 2011

Golf Strategies

Good day all. Today, the Carolina's will be splattered with additional rain, which we don't need. Why couldn't it rain this summer when all the row croppers needed it? Instead, it rains now, when they need to get the implements in the field. Mother Nature - Thanks but no thanks.

Nevertheless, Lee and I will take place in a charity golf event today. Lee is easily the luckiest golfer in the world. And he continues to get better. I, on the other hand, am totally average. Today, the rain will probably even out the field, which would be to our advantage. As I depart today, I fully expect to win the tournament, but our team has a "ringer" which should amplify our chances. Personally, I am a fair golfer, compared to the rest of the world, but only 1% of the worlds population have ever picked up a 9 iron. Still, that places me in the top 1% of the globe's golfers...a position of which I am proud to hold. The keys to my success are trying to keep my head down, and making sure I'm not too close to golf ball after I have hit it. If I had a strength, I would say it would be my short iron game, but playing within 100 yards was something I did at my parent's house while growing up...I only hit one car, of which I apologized for, and only struck the house 7-8 times, which had gone undetected until the moment my parents read this blog.

Despite playing from the yard, I also spent a lot of time golfing with my dad. For years and years he watched me hit a few good shots, then come completely unglued after a bad shot. Tossing clubs was tacky, and he told me that each time I went to pick one up. Crying, also, was not good. In the past 7 or 8 years I have played so sparingly, that I have learned to enjoy the game, and it has also allowed me to shoot lower scores, regularly breaking 90 on public courses...and never breaking down.

So how do you know when you see a good golfer? I have seen some really good ones and some really bad ones, so here's how I know...and you can spot them, too.

If a golfer has a 1 iron in their bag, you can assume that it has never been used. There's a saying in golf that even "God can't hit a 1 iron." I wouldn't know about any deity's golf game, but if I did encounter them, I'd let them play through. Nevertheless, a good golfer would not have a club in the bag that they could not hit.

How many golf balls does your compadre store in his or her bag? If the answer is more than 10, odds are that after each round, they'll be down to one before the 18th green is putted out. To me, a successful round of golf is measured by a score below 90, and by using only 1 golf ball. That means the golfer stayed in bounds and out of the water...and it's tough to do.

Does your golfing friend have a dirty golf bag? If they are good golfer's then they do...golf bags get dirty from walking courses and laying the bag down...often.

Are there two putter's in your partner's bag? Bad golfer's keep two putters available. Good golfer's keep all of their extra putters at home in an effort to hide their insecurities about putting. All golfers hate putting.

And finally, does your playing pal have one of those gimmicky bristle-top tees? If they do and you don't, you should be playing against them for high stakes sandwiches and pennies. The same goes for those exceptionally long wooden tees, too. They neither traditional, nor serious.

There you go...use those identifiers to differentiate between the gospel golfers and the goofy golfers.

Enjoy the day...

No comments: