April 22, 2011

Good Friday and New School Field Trip Programs for North Carolina

Today is Good Friday. Most Fridays are good. Often, very good. This one is gooder than most.

Here at the Center, We are hosting the Duke University Nicholas School for the Environment. I'll be around to cater to whims, both expected and unexpected. The Program Staff, or Programites, as I lke to call them will be spending time with their family and friends. Good for them. I'll spend some time with my friends, too.

Also, though, I 'll be working on a new curriculum for our Environmental Education program. Quite frankly, the first one I made bores me a little bit. It's just what everybody else does...and I want to be different. And I will. In the coming weeks, I'll eliminate old ecology and environmental education activities and replace them with some that are more focused on marshes, waterfowl, the sound, and eastern NC culture. Obviously, at this point, I am accepting requests...I'll comsider anything. Nevertheless, every school field trip that arrives here should be able to catch a blue crab or a white perch, as well as meet "Joe Waterman"*.

Enjoy the weekend...

* I am considering creating a "replica" of an old timer Waterman. Waterman are those men (and often times, women) that plied the Sounds for fish, waterfowl, and shellfish. Waterman lore and tradition is deep and rich. This program might include me, Lee, or hopefully, program staff dressing in period clothing for night time discussions on pre-modern times in and around Albemarle Sound...

No comments: