August 3, 2009

Takeoff 4-Health Week 2

So far, so well. Campers are hanging in there, and so are staff. Three weeks of camp, non-stop that is, can be mentally and physically taxing.

There has been some success, too.

We are inching closer to breaking ground on our new recreation hall. I look forward to this building, as it will raise our capacity and allow for new program opportunities. I think a room for wildlife discovery (like taxidermied animals) would be really neat to have around...but it would probably get vetoed. It may be a little insane.

There are only two weeks left in the summer... I look forward to fall programs...but my heart is always with the summer.

Summer camp is a special opportunity for children to forge out on their own (away from their parents, anyway), make friends try new things, revisit past experiences with activities, and MAKE THEIR OWN BED!

Fall programs are nice...the weather cools, the leaves on the trees become less green, and the fields of beans become shrouded in golden hues. Program groups are filled with children and adults looking for a respite from work and school - I can't blame them...This begs the question - "If people come to the Eastern 4-H Center to get away, where does the Program Director of the Eastern 4-H Center go to get away?" I am not sure what I do to get away, in fact, I am not sure I ever want to get away.If I really need to get away, I should probably go away. However, I will find down time and use my accrued leave time to stomp the marshes of Tyrrell and Hyde County. I will also find time to visit my folks, or find time to have them visit me (I would prefer the latter this go around).

Summer Staff, who are generally ready for the summer to end right as the summer ends, look towards school, football games, homework, and social lives. Good for them.

Summer's end is nearly here...

Enjoy the day....

No comments: