August 18, 2009

My Daycation

The Summer Camp gods granted me Monday off, albeit, I did work the weekend with a church group. My Lady friend, Callie, and I mage a grand tour of the NC Outer Banks. Here's the re-cap of my day away.

8:00 - Depart for beach - Callie was confused about which direction I took to get to the beachm even though both get there at the same time...

9:00 - Enter Nag's Head - Traffic was ridiculous, and so were the drivers. The beach isn't going anywhere folks! Last I checked, the shoreline has been in the same place for the past 18,000 years (that's when the ice age ended, and interglacial warming began).

9:45 - After navigating the 16.5 miles of beach bypass, Callie determines that is time for a diet coke...I am honked at by an lady who may actually remember the ice age...she needed directions and I happily point her in the proper direction.

9:55 - Enter Duck city limit...based on the monstrosity of the real estate here, I ponder why everyone needs to use a bicycle to get around...some peole are even jogging. Hopefully they were only trying to achieve their moderate level of exercise needed to maintain a healthy life. It is not healthy, howwever, to ride your bike in the middle of the road in the opposite lane (guy in pink bike shorts!). Also, don't drag your baby behind your bike in a carriage...this may promote laziness.

10:30 - Arrive at Corolla - I have always wanted to take Callie up to Corolla...I have only been once, but the brick light house was enough to warrant my return and entice Callie and the supercamera. After arriving, I proceeded to get lost immediately. I was looking for the NCWRC Environmental Education Center Museum...so I followed the signs to the "Museum." The museum I found was of the wild mustangs...

10:45 - Find NCWRC EE building - what a great place...this Center has it all. I fully understand why waterfowling was fun at the turn of the century...I am also clear on why there are regulations in place, too.

12:00 - Eat at "Roadside Bar and Grill" in Duck....I was unsure of this tiny place...the Waiter was overly non-chalant - he told us to put the menu down and get the fish sandwich...Callie had never had a fish sandwich...so we followed our orders...this sandwich was probably number 3 all time in fish sandwiches...

1:00 4:00 - I direct my Jeep south towards Hatteras...we had planned on going to Ocracoke, but Callie's ability to dally at the Outlet Mall proved to be detrimental to the cause. Instead, we decided to visit the Hatteras LightHouse...then the idea to climb the tower occurred, but I had no cash...After driving to Frisco and finding an ATM, we arrived, paid our fee, and climbed the tower. I am in well-above average conditioning, or atleast that's what I tell myself. Nothing had prepared me for climbing the 257 stairs to the top...of course, there is not a sliver of a hill in eastern North Carolina to prepare anyone for this...my legs felt jelloey after this excursion. I had agrees (uder duress, albeit) to allow someone to capture mine and Callie's image in digital format if she climbed...Low and behold she remembered the deal and set out to find an unsuspecting victim to be confused by the operation of her supercamera... here is the picture of us at the top...













6:00 After this, we had dinner at Basnight's Lone Cedar Cafe...out of the 4 times I have fed there, I have been totally satisfied 3 times. This time I had "Blackened Rare Tuna"...it was perfect. The soundside dining room allowed me and Callie to watch the baby ducks, stinkin' geese, and ospreys play in the Croatan Sound. Callie ordered shrimp and promptly dispatched them. We made the ride home into a "purty", but blinding sunset.

Now that my vacation is over, I am back at the Center...I have been getting situated for a subdued lifestyle...Inventories and Summer Clean-up fill the void left by campers and counselors. Right now, I have three seasonal instructors, with a possible fourth returning after personal matters are aligned. I will introduce or reintroduce all of them very soon....

Enjoy the day!

No comments: