July 3, 2009

RETURN to camp

As some of you may know, I missed a big portion of camp this week. Generally, I try to ensure that this blog discusses Eastern 4-H Summer Camp Happenings as opposed to Luker Family Happenings. I missed this week of camp because I had to return to Alabama to take part in the bereaving distinction of burying my beloved grandmother. I will talk more about that at the end...for those of you interested in camp, you only have to read the first half!

In my absence, I appointed 2 Deputy Directors - Joe and Chris...Lo and behold, it was probably the best week of camp, yet. Whether I am part of the solution or part of the problem doesn't need to be answered. What is answered b y this is whether or not I have recruited, trained, and motivated a wonderful staff. The answer is YES! While no week of camp since the Big Bang has ever gone off without some type of hickup, this week was very smooth.

Special thanks to Lee for stepping up his game. Lee already has a hard job (keeping me in line), but he was also asked to ensure that everything was carried out to my specifications (and his). And while my return was good for him, it was even better for his wife, child, and beard. Lee looked unkempt from the hours of no personal upkeep. The life of a camp staffer is tough, but it is one that they wish for...counselors give up a summer at the beach for a summer spent with children...quite a sacrifice, but only the finest people will accept the duty. Lee, like myself, has to give up a good bit of the personal life...Lucky for me - I don't have kids or a wife. Lee on the other hand did a lot this week. And when he reintroduces himself to his wife and child this weekend, I am quite sure they will not remember him...it's been a week since they have seen them!

Week 3 of 4-H Camp was solid...4-H Agents and volunteers were very complimentary of staff and programs. We have tiny kinks, and sooner or later we will get a wrangle on them. For the first time in my life, I have set HIGH expectations. They are being met. It is a relief to have people you can count on. My staff members love their jobs and their campers.

On to my grandmother...There is nothing more saddening than the loss of a loved one...but the love is not lost. I will miss my grandmother, but not as much as her own children. Her life was very rich, but not in material things. She was simple and sensible, unlike the majority of the world today. She was born in 1907...and yes, she remembered the depression, D-Day, Kennedy's Assassination, and everything else...we found the newspaper clippings as we poured through her cedar trunk. She raised 3 great kids, one of which is my dad. She knew right from wrong and that doing wrong was NEVER right. She told her kids and students that, too. I expected to see a side of my dad that I had never seen before, but I was wrong. I expected to see him grievous, but he was the same...strong - strong for his family. He will miss his mother. The adoration I have for my mother is not unlike his for his.... As a pall bearer, I noted the weight of the casket. It was heavy on my shoulders. The true weight was on my heart, as I bore the burden of a lifetime of loving memories and admiration for my grandmother. The ceremony was unceremonious, but beautiful...just like grandmother would have wanted it. It was celebratory. I never felt that my grandmother was taken from me...and she would agree that she was living on borrowed time. Few people leave a genuine legacy, but she did. Thanks to all of the staff members here for the condolences and cards. As I reflected on the loss of a family member, I realized that not all family is related...some are friends, co-workers, and staff. Thanks for everything...

Enjoy the day

No comments: