September 13, 2011

Pocosin Grapes

This blog is well overdue. Rarely do I write about anything that I don't value. I'm not the great writer that can pick a social topic, hash it out, and walk away. Life's to long to do that, even once. Still, when I go to that Giant Rock Wall in the sky, I hope to find many of the things I love in this galaxy. One of my favorite things is the humble scuppernong grape. It's the perfect snack for those of us who prefer mosquitoes to malls.

Growing up in Alabama, my parents had a few muscadine vines. They were not cultivated by them, and for all I know, they might have just been wild and matured. A muscadine is similar to a scuppernong...it's a wild grape that has a leathery shell. They're purple, though, unlike the greenish-bronze scuppernong. Sometimes, though, Deep Southerner's called muscadines "scuplins" or "scuflins"...I was always confused and cravenous. I even had friends whose parents made muscadine wine. Personally, though, there is no better way to enjoy a wild grape, than to plop the fruit into your mouth, straight up.

Upon my arrival in pocosin country, I quickly got my bearings by cruising the front and back roads of the area. I got lots of tips from new friends on great places to go. Upon crossing the Scuppernong River, I recognized the name from childhood. And so began my quest for the wild grape vine. They were literally everywhere, but finding one that produces sweet fruit was the challenge. I found lots that offered smaller, tarter grapes. I had to learn to like them, and did. On occasion, someone would bring a carton of them by the office - the good kind. I ate more than my fair share, but I had to make up for years lost.

Eventually, I hit the motherload. And apparently, this motherload was from the mothervine, which added additional mystique to this abundant, but almost unknown grape.

Quick Interjection Here: My computer mysteriously shut-off without saving the last 25 lines of this blog, so I'll attempt to finish...again.

Anyway, the grapevines, yeah...so now I don't pick any grapes...I buy them from a local grower, Scuppernong Produce. Gosh Almighty are they perfect. Giant grapes, with minimal seeds. If you want some from Scuppernong Produce, you'll have to let me know, or you can find Scuppernong Produce on Facebook. They'll let you know how you can get them, but I have a connection. They are worth every 250 pennies per quart. But remember the law of supply and demand when purchasing!

Once you pick or buy your grapes, you need to enjoy them the purist's way...that means (1)putting the entire grape in your mouth, (2)squeezing with your teeth until the pulp erupts, (3)sorting (by tooth) the seeds from the pulp, (4)spitting the seeds back to the earth (or into a cup if enjoying indoors), (5) swallowing the pulp, (6) chewing the skin, (7) swallowing, and finally, (8)smiling. If you are going to spit out the skin, just don't bother with the grapes. The skin is where the protein and fiber are...either way, scuppernongs are healthier, tastier, and even less expensive than an equal amount of chocolate.

Most of my favorite snacks are broken up by seasons....here's a calendar year rundown:
January through mid-February: Conversation Hearts
Mid-February through mid-April: Cadburry and Robin Eggs
Mid-April through August: Granola
August through mid-October: Scuppernong Grapes
Mid-October through mid-November: Candy Corn
Mid-November through late December: Haystacks and fudge

Remember, eat all sweets in moderation! Your waistline and teeth will thank you. And it's all just to good to over-do, except for scuppernongs!

Enjoy the day...

No comments: