September 12, 2011

The Day the World Changed

Over the weekend, the somber celebration of 9/11 transpired across America and it's foreign bases. Virtually everyone on Facebook took the opportunity to use the words "we will never forget" in their statuses. Not me. September 11, 2001 was not the day that the world changed. It was the day that changed the world. And there's a difference.

Where were you on 9/11/01? Odds are you know exactly where you were, and research has proven that dramatic events generally mark our minds in a way other than how the trivial things may be memorized. I don't have the slightest idea of what I did on September 10, 2011. I imagine I was preparing for my college-girlfriend-at-the-time's impending birthday, which was on September 13. I think we went to a restaurant. I 'm sure I did as I was asked. Nevertheless, I know exactly what I did on September 11, 2001.

I woke up around 7:30 am Central Time in the morning...I ate a Toaster Strudel, blueberry I'm sure. I cut on the TV, hoping to see good weather for the day. I was planning to go to the marina I worked at after class and wash some boats. The day would be easy, I was sure. Except for Dr. Pulliam's philosophy class. As soon as I cut on the television, I walked to the bathroom for a shower. This shower was just like all the others. I walked out, dressed, and met my dad in the den, where he wasn't supposed to be. He told me that a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center. I thought "what a terrible accident." Then, I watched live at about 8:05 am Central Time as another plane smashed into a skyscraper I had only seen in pictures. I was captivated and confused. Terrorism was something that I never could digest, but my dad mentioned the possibility immediately, and as non-nonchalantly as anyone who would have lived through the Cuban Missile Crisis. Other planes fell that day. Fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles, friends, and neighbors died that day. I didn't know anyone in that building that day. I doubt I know anyone that works near that place, either. I was naive enough to think that it didn't matter to me. It was just one terrible incident that I was not affected by...at 18 years old, most young men are fairly dumb. And I had bleach blonde hair at the time.

The rest of the day was a blurry catastrophe. Planes were grounded. Enemies were named. Threats were realized. In the days since then, flags were hoisted on anything with a high point. Even the remnants of the brave skyscrapers held a flag. I had a flag, too. All of a sudden, I was American and very proud of it.

Since that day, it seems as if every day brings a mention to 9/11/01. Our current financial crisis is linked. The long lines at airports, football games, and military recruitment centers are all linked to 9/11/01, too. Everyone became patriotic, and some still are, thankfully.

Unfortunately, the patriotism eroded and was replaced with stoic, ridiculous cautiousness. Many of us have become frustrated with security at large public gatherings, the never-ending forms that must be completed to bear arms, and the continuing war in Asia. But why be mad at American's for doing what American's do best? We are cautious, much more cautious than we used to be. Americans are no longer the braggart-over-the-top-rebellions that forged this country's eastern border. For the past 10 years, we have become nostalgic and careful. I hope that American's can be brave enough to stop looking inside the purses and pockets of it's own country folk, and begin to look inside the countries who harbor and hide terrorists.

9/12/2001 was the day the world changed. It woke up and had to change. On 9/11/2001, we leaned on shoulders. The next day we looked over our shoulders...and haven't stopped since.

Enjoy the day...

No comments: