August 20, 2010

A Break?

So over the past few days, virtually everyone I know has asked me if I was ready for my "break"...the "break" being the time between the end of camp and the pre-camp planning which usually begins in mid-September. My retort is "What break?!"

Sure, I will take some time off when possible, but to be honest, I get a little bored when I have nothing to do. And there is no "break." This weekend (starting at noon Friday), We have 4 different groups using the facility! It is great to be busy...the Northeast Regional Directors are meeting and eating today, along with two overnight groups - the Laymen's League, and The North Carolina Association of Student Councils...following on their heels are the ECU Williams Leadership retreat...we are doing programming for NCASC and Williams...it'll be tons of fun.

The weekend is supposed to have nice weather. Granted, weather has been pretty good for camp activities all summer, we can use the rain, if it is not too late. Most of the corn has shriveled up and beans are still short, like me.

Next week, I'll be in and out of the office tending to a variety of matters...I'll also take some time off, too!

My sister was just up for a visit with my lady friend, who moved from Pittsboro to Edenton over the summer. We hosted my sister and took her all over the region. I even took her out in the D.S. Yella Dog (Duck Ship Yella Dog). We rode throughout the Northwest fork and the lower reaches of the Alligator - in hopes of seeing an alligator. Only one possible sighting occured in the form of a slim wake...when gators plunge from the shoreline muck, they immediately dive and leave a wake much like a ski boat...followed by ominous bubbles. We also spotted several eagles, a few resident wood ducks and black ducks, along with a nutria. I enjoyed describing the pocosin environment to her...she really enjoyed the stark beauty of such a remote and wild place - a place theat Tyrrell County should be proud of...

Nevertheless, it's time to get back to work!

Enjoy the day...

No comments: