November 20, 2009

Thanksgiving Blog

I haven't had much time to blog...so here is a Thanksgiving Blog, since I will be out next week.

The past 5 days have been spent cleaning up after the storm. Yesterday, we all raked pine straw in shifts so that we could mulch our flower beds. Pine straw is a good choice...any pine oil that is in them will ward of some bugs, but it also keeps roots nice and warm in the winter. Every morning I have arisen at 4:00 am to go and try to "catch some ducks...we have been fortunate for the most part, despite the warm, cloudy, still weather. Next week it is supposed to cool off, so maybe some more ducks will come on down and join me in the Sound.

Today is Friday! It is nasty foggy outside - Today was also Casper and Stephanie's last day on the job. The staff house will be strangely quite for 36 hours, then nicely quite until some one else arrives...in the mean time - the refrigerator is MINE MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Saturday always comes after Friday - I will probably try to "catch" some more ducks somewhere, but I am going to make sure to check out the first ever Hyde County Waterfowl Festival! I love a waterfowl festival - especially those in small towns where waterfowl are woven into the cultural of the place...And Lake Mattamuskeet is probably the second most important sight for waterfowl on the East Coast, with the exception of the Chesapeake Bay. There will be carvers, callers, vendors, oysters, and shrimp - all of which I hold in high regard...I'll use the festival to try and find some campers and instructors for Camp Canvasback 2010!

Sunday I will attempt to knock out some Christmas shopping. My lady friend's birthday is also in December, and she continues to remind me that I cannot "combine" gifts - not that I do. I really try to put a limit on what she spends - so she sets the limit, but goes over it every time because "she likes to do it..." I set a limit for myself and always try to come in under the limit...it's sorta like budgeting.

My Christmas list includes:
A Million Dollars
A beard
Time with family (cliche listing?)
An Honorary Doctoral Degree from an esteemed institution

I will be glad if I get just one of those, while one is highly unlikely - I have to shave for holiday pictures.

Thanksgiving Day will be spent at my parents' house - Turkey, Ham, Saffron Rice Casserole, Green Beans, and maybe a lemon icebox pie....

Friday is the most important day of the year for Alabama residents. Nope - not deer season opener or black friday...THE IRON BOWL - Auburn University vs. The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa. This is also the 20th anniversary of the "first-time ever" game...where UAT located their road map and drove the bus to Auburn, the loveliest village on the plain. For years, the Iron Bowl was played in Birmingham - the name "Iron Bowl" is from the old steel mills and such that the Birmingham economy was based on - I hated going to play Alabama in Birmingham...it was supposed to be a neutral sight, but Birmingham is known as an "Alabama" town - very few Auburn fans...even the vendors and ticket-takers were Alabama hats at Auburn "home" games. Tickets were split 50-50 between the Universities, and teams alternated wearing home colors year in and year out...I have been to every Iron Bowl since 1994, and one in 1990. I went to the second "first-time" game in Tuscaloosa (UAT's campus location).

I have seen them play in snow, rain, sun, and heat. I have seen Auburn win the majority of these games. I have seen games form the field as a student manager. I have many great memories of the Iron Bowl:

1993 - Never saw this game in person - it was the last football game my late grandmother ever saw in person...the game wasn't televised because Auburn was on probation, but we won 22-14, spearheaded by a "back-up quarterback Pat Nix - to - Frank Sanders" touchdown connection...Jason Miska also sacked UAT quarterback Jay Barker for a safety.

2000 - First time in 99 years - Auburn beats UAT in Tuscaloosa - in the snow and sleet...my dad forfieted his ticket to Lindsey Waters, a friend of mine...it was his attempt at bribing her into a "pre-arranged marriage"...we had a blast.

2003 - Auburn was supposed to be whipped in this one...Coach Tuberville had all but "resigned"...then Cadillac Williams (Auburn's running back" scooted 80 yards on the first play...aside from an incident involving acorns, this was a great day...Auburn won 28-18.

2004 - Auburn whips Alabama in Tuscaloosa...my dad told an Alabama fan that he liked his "hair-do", and my best friend Adam Coleman wore Black Patent Leather Shoes...a Classic...Auburn went undefeated and was awarded the "People's National Championship" and "Golf Digest National Championship", adding fuel to the conspiracy - against - Auburn Theory".

1997 - Me and dad made a critical error by leaving when we thought Auburn had been defeated. As we were 300 yards from the stadium, it was an error by a player that made dad and I erroneous...UAT fullback Ed Scissum coughed up the ball, fumbled, spilled the bean, dropped the pill, got butterfingers, with 3 minutes to play...Auburn kicked a game winning field goal.

2005 - This was my last game as a student manager for the football team...managers have the duty of being on the sidelines, carrying microphone cords and telephones for coaches to communicate with players...nevertheless Auburn beat Alabama in dramatic and traumatic fashion...UAT quarterback Brodie Croyle was sacked twelve times...I also walked the "Tiger Walk" (Google it, seriously) as a senior team member and was assaulted by old ladies. My mom even went to this game!

Those are my top Iron Bowl memories, but there are better ones from other generations - "Punt Bama Punt" is one of the most famous for Auburn Fans, but UAT enjoys "Wrong Way Bo" and "Van Tiffin's Kick", both of which UAT fans embraced later in paintings...

Anyway, Dad and I will be back at it again on Friday, hoping to pull out another victory. Regardless of the outcome, I will give "Thanks" that Dad and I can carry on this tradition, and all of the other mischievous traditions it entails on gameday itself...

These are Iron Bowl pictures...





















This is from the stands...with 87, 000 of your closest pals...

























From the locker room....




















That's me on the left! compare me with the players...



























I was in the huddle!!!!





















This is the game where we sacked UAT 12 times....

Enjoy your Thanksgiving...

No comments: